Produce a minimum of three thumbnail visuals/design ideas inspired by researched sources.
Experiment with the following materials and techniques to produce a minimum of two sample bindings:
use the following materials:
- papers (in the range of 90 – 130 gms)
- at least two different types of decorative papers eg marbled, printed
- boards in a range of different thicknesses from 1000 to 3000 microns
- linen or cotton threads
use the following techniques:
- measure accurately
- determine the grain of paper
- prepare signatures
- apply adhesives
- sewing book blocks with ‘made’ endpapers and hand marbled paper
- a ribbon marker and hand sewn headbands
- prepare the leather
- make a quarter leather case cover
- make a half leather case cover
- case the book block into the cover.
Samples must be A5 or A4 in finished size and portrait style.
Candidates should not be limited to the list of techniques or materials mentioned above in their experimentation.
Experiment with the following
- Different materials and ways of creating a hollow spine
- Different sewing methods for headbands and different types and sizes of threads
- Different types and thicknesses of leather
- Different weights of marbled paper
- Different design ideas and appropriate materials for the covers